Monday, January 31, 2011

15 things I've learned

Finally it's over. No more crutches. No more walking cast. And I hope I will never have to use any of these items again!!


So a few days after I broke my foot one of the first people I talked to at church asked me, "Well is there anything in your life that you need to learn right now?" I kind of laughed about it with her but for some reason the question has stuck with me over the last 7 weeks. I guess there is something we can learn from everything that happens to us in our life, whether it is something big or something little and silly like a broken bone. So here are some of the things that I learned...

1. That it really hurts your hands being on crutches. Worse than the break itself. Until my hands finally built up some calluses, I would cringe at the thought of grabbing on to them.

2. That it is okay to accept service. I'm one of those that likes helping people out but has a hard time accepting the help of others. This has really helped me get over that.

3. Being on crutches is a great conversation piece.

4. That I have awesome friends. One day I had a friend show up unannounced to clean first thing in the morning. My house was a dive because it was a Monday morning and we all know how that goes, except it was about 10 times worse than normal. Anyways, it didn't even seem to phase her, she just dug in and got it done. While I sat on the couch and watched helplessly. Oh and did I mention she was on her hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor including all the corners. I had lots of phone calls and help from other friends too which I appreciated so much.

5. It is really hard to carry a glass of hot chocolate while on crutches.

6. Sometimes you have to get really desperate with who you let vacuum your floors...


7. I learned once again that I can always count on my Mom and sisters to help me out when I need it. Leslie happened to be here almost the whole time I was injured and was a life savor to me. I know had Brette and Shannon been here they would of done the same. But Leslie would show up randomly every time she was in town and clean, switch laundry, vacuum my stairs, whatever I needed. I don't think she has any idea how much that meant to me. She even went with me to finish my Christmas shopping. She dropped me off at every door and then picked me up so I wouldn't fall on the ice with my crutches. She would pay for all my stuff so I could go sit down. Everyone else helped out tons with me and my kids while I stayed out at my parents.
8. Which brings me to my next thing I learned, don't ever go shopping on crutches. It will be way worse and more tiring than you think it will be!!!!

9. Steve and the kids are great helpers. I felt like I was always calling someones name (mostly poor Haylie) to come help me with something or to get me this or that. They really didn't complain too much about helping out way more than usual.

10. I learned first hand about tender mercies and that Heavenly Father truly does love me. I was having a really bad, frustrating day where I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to get threw the day without having some kind of breakdown. Anyways right at one of the lowest moments in my day comes a knock at my door. It was one of my friends with supper for me and my family. I found out later that she felt prompted to bring me supper that day and that she needed to bring it to me now. The timing of everything was so inspired and as silly as it sounds it made me feel that I was actually going to make it.

11. I learned it's kind of fun being pushed around where ever you want to go in Costco. While Leslie pushed the shopping cart around, Brette got to push me. Which she loved.


12. As fun as it is being pushed in a wheelchair, the motorized ones at Walmart are even more fun. Those things really cruise around and the chair is so comfy. If your at all injured, pregnant, whatever, I highly recommend it!

13. I learned that I need to do more deep cleaning in my house. Sarra came over one day to help me clean and vacuum. She was putting away some dishes and opened up one very disorganized cupboard. While she was standing on my counters organizing the cupboard she happened to look on top of my cupboards and was uphauled at what she found! I'll admit it, I don't wash on top of my cupboards, no one ever sees up there. Except Sarra. So after almost a whole bottle of Vim, she got it clean. Thanks Sarra!
14. I realize how much extra time I have on my hands now that I can't exercise. I do think it's important to excersise, and I really enjoy it, but I have to admit, I have been loving the break. It's been so nice to just hang out in the evenings with Steve instead of rushing off to the gym as soon as the kids are in bed.
15. I guess one of the main things that I learned is to be more aware of the people around me and the things that they are struggling with. All it takes is to be struggling around in the store or just trying to walk up the sidewalk to make you realize there are people that struggle with things like this every day. It has made me want to offer more help to others. It's made me so thankful for my health. So thankful to know that this is only a short, temporary thing. It's also really gotten me on a service kick. Being on the receiving end of service for a few weeks really has made me realize how much it means to know someone is thinking about you, or wants to help you. So it has taught me that I need to give more service.
Like I said before, I know that is was only a broken foot, it could of been way worse, but it did open my eyes to a lot of different things and it taught me a few very valuable lessons.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Tracie you are the most postitive person I know! Had it been me on those crutches I would have lost all my friends for sure because everyone would be sick of hearing me complain so bad. The 20 minutes I tried on those things about wore me out! You are a trooper and I am SO glad that it is over for you now! Please be careful.

melissa said...

oh trace, i needed this post. i really did. it really was heart felt, and hilarious. i loved the sincerity of it. i seriously hope your foot heals rapid fast. and i only wish i lived closer to les, so she could wait on me hand and foot. not because i broke my foot, but just because i have a severe case of the lazy.

i love my cousins.

shannon said...

tracie, it looks like we all need to break our foot, so that we can be more greatful. im happy that you dont have to use the crutches anymore, but if i were you i'd hold on to all that stuff, and use it next time you go shopping so that you can use a wheel chair again!
i wish that i could have been there to help you out more!

Tanya said...

I cut my pinkie finger with a butter knife and sliced through the nerve. Thought I was going to die!!!! I couldn't move the finger very well but the thing got caught/bumped on EVERYTHING! I had to go to physical therapy for it! I still don't have full feeling and movement in it. I learned a a great lesson through the whole thing! I know it's not a broken foot, but it was on my hand, and I used it all the time! The little things we take for granted... Hope your fully recovered now!